Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sisterhood




I had a dream years ago - not long after my mother died. I was walking down the halls of the Salt Lake Temple and I passed a beautiful young woman. I could see her from a distance - she was talking to someone else - and when we finally 'met' in the hallway she looked over and smiled at me. It was my mother. At first I thought it was just a comfort dream - for me to know that my mother was happy and healthy and WALKING now that she'd left this earth. But later I decided that it was also a lesson in sisterhood. My mother is no longer my 'elder'. She's once again a young woman and when we meet again in addition to being mother and daughter - we will be sisters.

I thought of this again last week. I had a bad day and a particular disappointment and planned to just go to bed (I was exhausted) and wake up (hopefully) more cheerful in the morning. But Emily brought in her fingernail polish and insisted that she was going to give me a pedicure. I tried to talk her out of it. I didn't think anything could cheer me up. But she wouldn't take no for an answer. As I sat there and received this simple, personal service from my sweet daughter I did feel 'cheered'. And my toes look so cute!!!

I am eternally thankful for mothers and daughters and sisterhood.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Betsy, thanks for sharing that sweet experience.

Your DDs are beautiful!

And I can't wait for your next book!